[R] Error message when adding drift for Arima model

Fri May 10 01:26:55 CEST 2019

In future, always cc the list (unless it's personal,which this isn't). I
have done so here. As I am largely ignorant on the subject matter, others
will have to help, which is why you should cc the list.

Cheers,
Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 3:49 PM Michael Howell <mchowell2 using gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize for that. The Arima() function that I'm trying to use comes
> from the forecast package. I created a time series object using the above
> 24 observations. The initial model I created doesn't seem to perform so
> well so I thought a drift term might fit the data better. I used the
> following code to create the time series object:
>
> tsdata<- ts(data, start = c(1,1), end = c(24,1), frequency = 1)
>

> Where* data* is the dataframe that contains the initial 24 observations.
> I then used the following code to try to create the model:
>
> fitdata  <-  Arima(tsdata,c(2,0,0),include.drift="true")
>>

> After doing this I obtained the following error message:
>
> Error in (order[2] + seasonal$order[2]) > 1 & include.drift: operations
>> are possible only for numeric, logical or complex types
>> Traceback:
>>
>> 1. Arima(tsdata, c(2, 0, 0), include.drift = "true")
>

>  I hope this is more clear.
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please start by reading and following the posting guide linked at the
>> bottom of this email. In particular:
>>
>> 1) Post in **plain text** on this plain text list so we don't get the
>> mangled html of your post.
>>
>> 2) Tell us what package Arima() is in.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert Gunter
>>

>> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 2:27 PM Michael Howell <mchowell2 using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> So this is my first post to this list, I'm trying to fit an Arima (2,0,0)
>>> model and I think a drift term would help but I'm getting an error term
>>> when I'm trying to include it. Here is my data:
>>>
>>> -6.732172338
>>> -2.868884273
>>> -5.371585089
>>> -6.512740463
>>> -4.171062657
>>> -5.738499071
>>> -3.343947176
>>> -1.944879508
>>> -5.464109272
>>> -3.189183392
>>> -3.684700232
>>> -2.168303451
>>> -2.329837082
>>> -0.761979236
>>> -2.189025304
>>> 1.094238807
>>> -4.812300745
>>> 0.784198777
>>> -1.567075922
>>> 0.143963653
>>> 1.131119051
>>> 2.899746353
>>> -0.498719993
>>> 3.121623505 I created a time series object with 24 annual observations. I
>>> didn't include dates because there isn't an observation for every year.
>>>
>>> tsdata<-ts(read.csv("...\\Pre2001LaunchDateTraining.csv"), start =
>>> end = c(24,1), frequency = 1) I then created a time series object using
>>> the
>>> Arima() function. fitdata <- Arima(tsdata,c(2,0,0),include.drift =