[R] saving an R script

Fri May 10 15:42:04 CEST 2019

Don't. Not from within R.

Edit your script in a text editor, and save it using the usual method for that editor. You can copy lines from that file and paste them into the R console to confirm that each part of your script works, or save it regularly and use the source function from within the R console to have R run the whole thing.

One reason why Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) like RStudio and ESS are so popular is that they turn these steps into a hot-key keyboard combination accessible from the text editor. (They also tend to provide typing completion help that helps you enter syntactically correct code more quickly, and display variable contents in a side bar.) But this is the R-help mailing list, where the topic is the language, not the tools, and you should not assume here that anyone else is using the same editor/IDE that you are.