[R] Trying to understand the magic of lm (Still trying)

Sorkin, John j@ork|n @end|ng |rom @om@um@ry|@nd@edu
Tue May 14 04:01:03 CEST 2019

Terry ,

Thank you. Many years ago I took a course you taught in which you explained how to conduct survival analyses using S. The course was very useful, as was the email you sent me today. If you find a place where you can store your lecture notes, please send me the URL.

I believe that there is a great need for someone to explain not just how to write a package, but generally how to write a function that checks the parameters passed to it, that uses the parameters in a manner that allows the output of the function to produce output that informs the function users of the call to the function, etc. While these steps are needed when one writes a package, they should be taught as a matter of good coding practice when anyone writes a function that will be used more than once. Many years ago when I was a mainframe system programmer, it was de rigueur that one learned (and used) certain standards about saving registers at the beginning of a function and restoring them at the end of the function. The same should be true for all R functions; certain standardized, well described steps should be considered a part of writing any function. The problem, at least from my perspective, is that there is no commonly recognized document that explains the steps clearly.

Thank you,

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524