[R] Extract lines from pdf files

Wed Nov 20 00:08:34 CET 2019

Please don't spam the mailing list. Especially with HTML format messages. See the Posting Guide.

PDF is designed to present data graphically. It is literally possible to place every character in the page in random order and still achieve this visual readability while practically making it nearly impossible to read. I have encountered many PDF files with the same text placed on the page multiple times... again scrambling your option to read it digitally. Tools like "pdftools" can sometimes work when the program that generated the file does so in a simple and extraction-friendly way... but there are no guarantees, and your description suggests that it is likely that you won't be able to accomplish your goal with this file.