[R] Orthogonal polynomials used by R

PIKAL Petr petr@p|k@| @end|ng |rom prechez@@cz
Wed Nov 27 16:30:27 CET 2019

Hi

Your questions are beyound my expertise. Maybe others could answer it.

However, if you know enough theorethical statistics, you could get many answers searching e.g.

R lm poly

Cheers
Petr

From: Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor using gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:18 PM
To: PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal using precheza.cz>
Cc: R Help <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] Orthogonal polynomials used by R

Dear Petr,

Many thanks for the quick response.

I also read this:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_orthogonal_polynomials

Also I read  in ?poly:-
     The orthogonal polynomial is summarized by the coefficients, which
     can be used to evaluate it via the three-term recursion given in
     Kennedy & Gentle (1980, pp. 343-4), and used in the ‘predict’ part
     of the code.

I don't have access to the mentioned book.

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the discrete orthogonal polynomial used by R ?
What discrete measure is it orthogonal with respect to ?

Many thanks,
Ashim