[R] Surprising Symbolic Model Formula Evaluations

Emi Tanaka dr@em|@t@n@k@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 11 04:06:47 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm wondering about some logics behind the following simplifications:

y ~ 1:x simplifies to y ~ 1
y ~ x:1 simplifies to y ~ 1
y ~ x*1 simplifies to y ~ x
y ~ 1*x simplifies to y ~ 1

Mainly I would have expected y ~ 1:x to simplify to y ~ x and the cross
operator to be invariant to order.

I have some further surprising cases below that I'd also like to know more
about but just above will also be great.

https://rpubs.com/emitanaka/unexpected-formula-eval

Best,

Emi

*Dr. Emi Tanaka* | Lecturer in Statistics

Faculty of Science, School of Mathematics and Statistics

Secretary, NSW Branch, Statistical Society of Australia
<https://www.meetup.com/NSW-Branch-of-the-Statistics-Society-of-Australia/>

Social Media Coordinator, Central, International Biometrics Society
<https://twitter.com/IBSstats>

*THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY*
827, Carslaw F07 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
*Phone:* +61 2 9351 3039
*Website:* * <http://sydney.edu.au/>*https://emitanaka.github.io/
*Twitter: *@statsgen

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential.
Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in
error, please delete it and any attachments. Please think of our
environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]