[R] Unable to load .rda file

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Tue Oct 15 17:07:43 CEST 2019

> On Oct 15, 2019, at 5:19 AM, Subhamoy Chakraborty <subhamoy.chakraborty using nipfp.org.in> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> Here is the error that I am encountering :-
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
> Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_IN       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=en_IN
> [4] LC_COLLATE=en_IN     LC_MONETARY=en_IN    LC_MESSAGES=en_IN
> [7] LC_PAPER=en_IN       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
> [10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
>> load("onlyTN.rda")
> Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data
> loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> file ‘onlyTN.rda’ has magic number 'RDX3'
>  Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>>

> Can someone please help me  ?
>
> Thank you,
> Subhamoy

Hi,

You need to upgrade your version of R to at least 3.5.0, preferably newer, which is presumably the version under which the data file was saved.

Note from news(), under 3.6.1, in the section regarding SIGNIFICANT USER-VISIBLE CHANGES for 3.6.0:

Serialization format version 3 becomes the default for serialization and saving of the workspace (save(), serialize(), saveRDS(), compiler::cmpfile()). Serialized data in format 3 cannot be read by versions of R prior to version 3.5.0. Serialization format version 2 is still supported and can be selected by version = 2 in the save/serialization functions. The default can be changed back for the whole R session by setting environment variables R_DEFAULT_SAVE_VERSION and R_DEFAULT_SERIALIZE_VERSION to 2. For maximal back-compatibility, files ‘vignette.rds’ and ‘partial.rdb’ generated by R CMD build are in serialization format version 2, and resave by default produces files in serialization format version 2 (unless the original is already in format version 3).

Regards,

Marc Schwartz