[R] [EXTERNAL] Re: "chi-square" | "chi-squared" | "chi squared" | "chi square" ?

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 21 13:09:37 CEST 2019

Pearson's original paper uses both \chi and \chi^2 frequently but
never spells out how to pronounce the latter.
Try another question: when talking about \sigma^2 do you say
"sigma-square" (which sounds rather odd) or "sigma-squared" (which
sounds more natural)?  If you say sigma-square, say chi-square.  If
you say sigma-squared, say chi-squared.
For what it's worth, the multu=i-volume "Encyclopedia of Statistical
Sciences", 2nd edition, uses both variants.
And so does Kendal & Stuart, volume 2, 1961, although "-squared" seems
to predominate.