[R] save() unable to find object

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 31 10:45:54 CET 2019

Try the list= argument

save(list= c("Date", paste(.....)), file=....)

If you use ..., you'll get bitten by

     ...: the names of the objects to be saved (as symbols or character
          strings).

and the paste() construct is neither. (Internally, it gets converted by as.character(substitute(list(...))), leading to the "object...not found" that you see)

The documentation is maybe a little oblique, but the point is that in

bar <- 1234
foo <- "bar"

save(foo) and save("foo") both save the "foo" object, whereas save(list=foo) will save "bar".

We don't evaluate expressions in ... because then save(foo) would also save "bar" (we could  in principle have different behaviour from symbols and more general expressions, but that is a certain road to insanity).

-pd

> On 31 Oct 2019, at 10:17 , Christofer Bogaso <bogaso.christofer using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I said the name 'AAA31' is itself a variable. So I cant hard-code
> it within the save() function
>
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 2:45 PM Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christofer,
>> This is a guess, but have you tried:
>>
>> save(AAA31,file="Save.RData")
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 8:10 PM Christofer Bogaso
>> <bogaso.christofer using gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to save a few R objects in RData file for some future use.
>>> The names of such R objects are actually dynamic so I used below code
>>> to save them -
>>>
>>> Date = Sys.Date()
>>> assign(paste('AAA', format(Date, "%d"), sep = ""), 5)