[R] [R-devel] Source Code for function

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 9 07:01:23 CEST 2019

> I am looking to understand why the keyword function can take a logical
argument
> (eg: x<4) and use that later inside the function's definition for logical
evaluations

The "function" keyword does not take a logical argument.
Let me show you some parallels:

f <- function (x, y) {x+y}          # R
(set! f (lambda (x y) (+ x y)))     ; Scheme
f = (x, y) => { return x+y; };      // Javascript
f = (x, y) => { return x+y; };      // C#, given a suitable declaration for
f = (x, y) -> { return x+y; }       // Java, given a suitable declaration
for f.
lambda x y; x+y end -> f;           // Pop-2, older than the others.

In all of these,
  - there is something ('function', 'lambda', '=>', '->') that
    says "here is an anonymous function"
  - there is a list of zero or more parameters
  - there is a body which may contain statements and may also
    return a result.
The keyword in itself does nothing.  The compiler recognises the
construction and generates code for a procedure that is bound to
the environment where it is created, so that it can find variables
other than those in its parameter list.

When it comes to passing parameters to a function, there is
nothing special about logical expressions in any of these languages.

Now there *is* something about functions in R that is special.
The S language (which R is based on) is the only one I am familiar
with that combines two properties:
 - it is an imperative language with side effects to variables
 - it does not evaluate function arguments when they are passed
   but when they are first *used*.
An obvious reason for this is to allow plotting methods to construct
labels from their arguments and to allow model fitting methods to
remember the form of the model.

If you want argument evaluation delayed for any other reason, it is
probably better to pass a function.  See
> ?integrate
 -- the first argument is a function, not a general expression
> ?optim
 -- the second argument is a function, not a general expression
(That is, the argument in question is an expression whose value must
be a function, not an expression to be manipulated *textually* or as
a formula.)