[R] [SPAM] Re: The "--slave" option

Benjamin Lang |@ngbnj @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 20 02:35:59 CEST 2019

Hi Roy,

Thank you, I’m sorry — I couldn’t resist fitting in a little dig there because that’s one of my main frustrations with actually using R, and to me it seemed to make some sort of sense because I was complaining about backwardness in a way (so a steep learning curve seemed to fit in). The error messages are so cryptic that I wonder how anyone ever used R before Google (e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27350636/r-argument-is-of-length-zero-in-if-statement).

I’m a bit appalled 50% of the responses think correctness and not being a jerk to some fraction of people is a bad thing and trigger warnings have been brought up (in a funny way). I should have done my research and noticed —quiet is indeed an existing option, though.

If I had an R-related wish, it would be that “—slave” becomes “-Q” in the documentation and is silently maintained for compatibility.

My original post came out of watching “12 Years A Slave” and if you haven’t, I recommend it. The powerlessness and ultra-grating injustice and the irony of slavery being easily justified by the Bible while abolition is not is an experience.

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. Do any R developers actually read this?