[R] [SPAM] Re: The "--slave" option

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 20 23:39:18 CEST 2019

Ah, *now* we're getting somewhere.  There is something that *can* be
done that's genuinely helpful.
>From the R(1) manual page:
       -q, --quiet
              Don't print startup message

       --silent
              Same as --quiet

       --slave
              Make R run as quietly as possible

It might have been better to use --nobanner instead of --quiet.  So perhaps

    -q, --quiet
        Don't print the startup message.  This is the only output that
is suppressed.

    --silent
        Same as --quiet.  Suppress the startup message only.

    --slave
        Make R run as quietly as possible.  This is for use when running R as a
        subordinate process.  See "Introduction to Sub-Processes in R"
        https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/subprocess/vignettes/intro.html
        for an example.