[R] & statement within an ifelse Loop

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Sat Sep 21 22:38:22 CEST 2019

On 9/21/19 12:57 PM, Phillip Heinrich wrote:
> Still putzing around trying to increment a count vector when the date changes.
>
>           Date count
> 1   2018-03-29     1
> 2   2018-03-29     1
> 3   2018-03-29     1
> 81  2018-03-30     1
> 82  2018-03-30     1
> 83  2018-03-30     1
> 165 2018-03-31     1
> 166 2018-03-31     1
> 167 2018-03-31     1
>
> I can get count to change when the date changes  - lines 81 and 165 - by comparing the date to the date on the previous line (lag(Date,1)) but then the count returns to 1 on line 82 and line 166.
>
> test2 <- transform(test2,
> +                   count = ifelse(Date == lag(Date,1),count,count+1))

The first thing to do is clarify which package you are expecting lag to
come from. I suspect it from a package other than the "base" stats which
gives this.

lag(c(1,2)) == c(1,2)
[1] TRUE TRUE
attr(,"tsp")
[1] 0 1 1

The base lag function only changes the tsp attributes, but not the values.

--

David.