[R] help.start() caused high CPU loading

Jinsong Zhao j@zh@o @end|ng |rom ye@h@net
Mon Apr 27 11:21:58 CEST 2020

On 2020/4/27 16:54, Abby Spurdle wrote:
> What's the benchmark?
I don't have any benchmark about this problem.

> I (still) have Windows 10 x64.
> Opening the task manager, causes the CPU to jump to over 90%.

It will drop to about 0.5% or below very quickly.

> In regards to the CPU usage remaining high:
> (1) Are you running R in a standard way?

TRUE. I closed all applications, and run the R using Rgui on Windows 10 x64.

> (2) If (1) true, is R idle (i.e. waiting for user input)?

TRUE.

> (3) If (2) true, how much CPU is R using?

0%.

> (4) If (3) is zero, what processes are using the CPU the most?

In such case, almost every processes is using the CPU in a very low
percentage, i.e., 1% or below. I don't recognized those processes.

Now, I invoke help.start(), about 25% of CPU loading is used by R. Quit
from R, the CPU loading go back to idle.

> If (1) is false, it's not R's fault.
> If (1) is true and (2) is false, then I don't know, that would be interesting...
> If (1) and (2) are true and (3) is high, then that would be a bug in R.
>
> If (4) is processes other than R, it's also not R's fault.
> But if you provide information, someone here maybe able to offer advise...

Thanks for those suggestions.

Best,
Jinsong