[R] How to extract information from .Rdata format

Sat Aug 1 07:56:42 CEST 2020

Hello,

Inline.

Às 05:30 de 01/08/2020, Ana Marija escreveu:
> do you think that this is useful output from Basics of R?

Actually, the answer will be yes, I do. Explanation follows.

>> load("paired_example.Rdata")
>> str(rawdata)
>   num [1:4482, 1:10] 46 4 3 48 1 4 0 60 0 12 ...
>   - attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
>    ..$ : chr [1:4482] "gene1" "gene2" "gene3" "gene4" ...
>    ..$ : chr [1:10] "a.cancer" "b.cancer" "c.cancer" "d.cancer" ..

This says that rawdata is a numeric matrix with 4482 rows and 10 columns.
And that an useful attribute, dimnames, is set.

> I think this one is better:
>> dat<-local(get(load("paired_example.Rdata")))
>> head(dat)
>        a.cancer b.cancer c.cancer d.cancer e.cancer a.normal b.normal c.normal
> gene1       46        4       33        5        8       61        5       42
> gene2        4        0        2        1        5       24        1       30
> gene3        3        4        4        2        1        3        0        0
> gene4       48        2       10        0        6        9        4        3
> gene5        1        5        2        3        6        1        0        3
> gene6        4        0        0        1        1        4        0        7

This gives a better *visual* representation of the data, rawdata is an
object of class "matrix" and it now *looks* like a table. We are used to
seeing matrices printed like this so it's very easy to understand what
rawdata is about.
Note that this one only has 8 columns, did you process the data before
calling head()?

Anyway, why not run both str(rawdata) and head(rawdata)? Not only I
don't see a conflict, they are even complementary to one another.

As for the original question, Sarah did answer to it, when you load() a
.Rdata or .RData file the objects are created in a certain environment
and their names are returned, you don't need get(), it's redundant.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas