[R] Would Like Some Advise

Gregg g@@@powe|| @end|ng |rom protonm@||@com
Fri Aug 28 16:45:12 CEST 2020

Phillip,

The primary differences between Windows and Linux:

Windows attempts to monetize most of what you do on your computer in the same way that Facebook, Google, and other Social Media sites go, but Microsoft goes one step further, and they use the OS to monetize Windows Users. Linux on the other hand, being open source does not. Linux Distributions are free, and there are many to choose from. My recommendation on Distributions would be either PCLINUXOS with the KDE Plasma 5 Desktop interface, or Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with a KDE Desktop (instead of a Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, or Cinnamon) Desktop. The KDE Desktop is much more refined compared to the others - IMO. So, in a nutshell - Windows monetizes you thru the OS, Linux does not.

Windows Pros:
-Much greater variety of commercial software available and easier to install
-Familiar interface
-Better for people who want to play games
-Will not lock up as easily if the computer runs out of memory

Windows Cons:
-Less Secure in the sense that more nefarious players target windows
-Cost (not free)
-Microsoft Monetizes users of the OS
-less control of what is installed on the machine (there are commercial apps in Windows that Microsoft makes it hard to remove - like xbox, and crap like that)
-commercial software is typically more polished - like Microsoft Office

Linux Pros:
-Free
-More Secure - fewer nefarious players targeting the OS
-Free software available thru repositories make it easy to install much of what you need to include an office suit that is good (Libre Office, among others)
-Satisfaction in having learned something new - kinda outside the box
-User has MUCH more control
-Just a better experience - IMO

Linux Cons:
-Some hardware is still difficult to get working with Linux, but not much anymore (CAC card readers for instance, or remote scanners, and sometimes printers)
-Linux OS can lock up if a program consumes all of the physical memory... thought it'll usually recover once the application craps out (like R - had this happen many times before I built a new computer with 128GB)

-Linux is poor at memory management when a swap file becomes necessary (yes, it is true - sorry)

I prefer Linux, but because I have a work computer issued to me that runs Windows - I still use it. If it were not for that, I would not. I run Linux (PCLINUXOS 64 bit with KDE) on all my home computers, but can still dual boot into windows when I need to.

As for R - it runs fine on either.

As for memory - get 128GB, and you won't have to look back and worry... that is if you think there is even a remote possibility that you'll need more than 64 GB - which is likely if you are using R to process weather data.

r/
Gregg
AZ