[R] Connection to Oracle DB failing from R

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Aug 31 14:29:12 CEST 2020

> On Aug 31, 2020, at 6:55 AM, Christofer Bogaso <bogaso.christofer using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to establish a connection to a Oracle DB from R and used below
> code which is failing every time I try -
>
>> library(RJDBC)
>> jdbcDriver =JDBC("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver",classPath="ojdbc5.jar")
>
> *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x854961, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Traceback:
> 1: .jinit(classPath)
> 2: JDBC("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver", classPath = "ojdbc5.jar")
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
> Selection:
>

> Below is my session info -
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 4.0.2 (2020-06-22)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
> Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.6
>
> Matrix products: default
> BLAS:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRblas.dylib
> LAPACK:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib
>
> locale:
> [1] C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] RJDBC_0.2-8  DBI_1.1.0    rJava_0.9-13

> [1] compiler_4.0.2
>
> I downloaded the JAR file from
> https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/jdbcdriver-ucp-downloads.html
>
> Can you please help me to understand why it is failing?

Hi,

I am copying Simon here, as he is the package author/maintainer for RJDBC.

Typically, segfault's can indicate some kind of version mismatch in the components that have been installed.

Since there are multiple pieces to this installation, between the packages and the underlying Java installation on your Mac, I would defer to Simon's more intimate knowledge here.

In searching for related issues, I noted some other posts on multiple OSs, and some issues raised on Simon's Github repo for the package.

Also, I am torn between suggesting that this be re-posted to r-sig-db, which is specific to R and database interfaces, and r-sig-mac, which is specific to R on macOS.

However, I will defer to Simon on how he might prefer to handle follow up discussion on your issue.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz