[R] Help with connection issue for R (just joined, leading R for our agency)

Wed Dec 9 10:35:16 CET 2020

    > R and RStudio are separate products developed and
    > supported by separate organizations, although obviously
    > there is a large intersection between the
    > two. Nevertheless, if you think this is an RStudio related
    > problem, you should post on their support site, not here:
    > https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us

    > One suggestion: You should try to run R using its own
    > built in RGui (it ships and installs with R) to see if
    > your difficulties replicate there.  That should help
    > pinpoint whether R or RStudio is the source of your
    > problems, which sound kind of fishy to me.

    > Bert Gunter

Alejandra did say in her first post that things work fine when
she runs  R  "alone" ..

Welcome to the R user community, Alejandra!

Also, yes indeed, government (or company) firewalls *do* lead
to problems which are sometimes much more prominent when using R
via Rstudio, rather than using R "alone" (or via ESS which I use
99% of the time, "Emacs Speaks Statistics").

This is because Rstudio tries to do many things behind your back (*)
in order to be helpful to you later ...
((a little bit like Windows which you are using too,
  and I am happy I only have to do very rarely))

So, indeed, follow  Bert's advice to ask on the Rstudio
company support site.

Martin

---
*) e.g. looking at all your installed packages, which is still
 pretty detrimentous if you have full CRAN and much bioconductor
 installed as I;  also I think it installs things it needs from
 the internet without asking you, and then may get timeouts
 because of your firewall.