[R] read_xlsx(readxl) apparently mangling some data input

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 4 14:01:58 CET 2020

Excel itself will store numeric data as numeric unless you explicitly say that they are not. I.e., 9.13 gest stored in floating point, with the innate binary rounding issues which you can also see from R

> print(9.13, digits=20)
[1] 9.1300000000000007816
> print(1.14, digits=20)
[1] 1.1399999999999999023

This happens on a per-cell basis inside Excel, and the excess digits are probably retained in .xlsx files (which, as far as I recall, are text-based, XML format files). LibreOffice probably keeps fewer significant digits.

So read_xlsx just reads what is in the file, and if instructed to read as text, gets you the result that you see. There seems to be no way so set a tolerance for rounding (which would also logically be a peculiar thing to do as it requires char -> num -> char conversion in ways that may or may not be what the user wants)

Pragmatically, I think you need to jump through a few hoops, something like

x <- tbl$NOWARN
xn <- as.numeric(x)
ix <- !(is.na(xn)) & xn%%1 != 0
x[ix] <- as.character(xn[ix])

(possibly throw in a zapsmall(), caveat emptor). Then proceed as per the original plan.

-pd