[R] Unintended behaviour (possibly bugs)

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 17 09:37:32 CET 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas using sapo.pt> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes, this is definitely a bug.

I would argue that the only bug here is that the documentation doesn't
say that 'ylab' may not behave as expected.

dotchart() is mainly designed for 2-way tables (see the VADeaths
example), but it's implementation is really pretty hackish because it
has to work within the limited traditional graphics framework. The
main problem is that dot plots want to put horizontal y-axis labels
(usually derived from factor levels), which are often longer than the
default margins, so the margins are modified. Unfortunately they are
only re-set on exit, and so the ylab that is plotted inside dotchart()
may be clipped. Traditionally, Cleveland dot plots don't have a y-axis
label; it's assumed that the factor levels are sufficient (and for
2-way tables, there would be two variables, so there is no sensible
default).

I doubt that dotchart() is worth fixing (except to maybe disallow
ylab). If you want flexibility, use modern grid-based alternatives
such as lattice::dotplot() or ggplot2.

-Deepayan