[R] Character (1a, 1b) to numeric

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jul 12 02:04:39 CEST 2020

I'll admit that I cut my teeth on ASCII, but I worried about your
reliance on that ancient typographic ordering. I wrote a little
function:

al2num_sub<-function(x) {
 xspl<-unlist(strsplit(x,""))
 if(length(xspl) > 1)
  xspl<-paste(xspl[1],which(letters==xspl[2]),sep=".")
 return(xspl)
}
unlist(sapply(xc,al2num_sub(xc)))

that does the trick with ASCII, but there was a nagging worry that it
wouldn't work for any ordering apart from the Roman alphabet.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any way to substitute something for
"letters" that would allow me to plug in a more general solution like:

alpha.set<-c("letters","greek",...)

Maybe someone else can crack that one.

Jim