[R] Reading help functions

Thu Jul 23 01:42:48 CEST 2020

On 22/07/2020 1:20 p.m., Pedro páramo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying all time to use ?? help function but most of the time it cost
> me a lot to understand what they are saying, explaining, there is some
> manual to step by step how to interpret help guides in R.
>
> I hope you can understand me because of my english its not the best also.

The manuals that come with R give more of an overview than the
individual help pages.  "An Introduction to R" is the basic
introduction.  You should read that first, then go to the help pages
when you need detailed technical information about a particular function.

To see the manuals, run help.start() and click on one of the links near
the top of the page.

If your problems are with help pages from contributed packages, then you
should look for vignettes in the package.  Not all packages have them,
but it's a sign of a lack of interest in documentation if they don't:
and I'd recommend avoiding such packages.

To see the vignettes for "somepackage", run

  browseVignettes(package = "somepackage")

Duncan Murdoch