[R] Writing Persian (Arabic) in a data frame

Tue Jul 28 13:57:50 CEST 2020

On 28/07/2020 2:01 a.m., Vahid Borji wrote:
> I am trying to make a data frame including two vectors. The first vector is
> a vector of Persian names, and the second vector is a vector of numbers. My
> code is as follows:
>
> A<-data.frame(x=c("مریم","ماریا"),y=c(1,1))
>
> But when I run these codes I do not receive my desired output. Indeed the
> column of x is not in Persian. The output is like this:
>
>                           x                 y1
> <U+0645><U+0631><U+06CC><U+0645> 12
> <U+0645><U+0627><U+0631><U+06CC><U+0627> 1
>
> I want to have the column of x in *Persian language*. Could you please help
> me how I can do it?

You need to work on a system that uses a UTF-8 locale.  Otherwise R
tries to express strings in the local encoding, finds that won't work,
and shows Unicode escapes instead.

For decades Windows had no UTF-8 locale, so your only choice was to move
to a different OS.  There are rumours now that it finally has one, but I
don't know how to enable it, and I'm not certain that R will handle it
properly:  you may need a very recent version (perhaps unreleased) for R
not to automatically assume that Windows can't do it.

Duncan Murdoch