[R] Removing a space from a string

Dennis Fisher ||@her @end|ng |rom p|e@@th@n@com
Wed Jul 29 16:28:26 CEST 2020

Richard

Per your requests:
	1.  Plain text: no spaces
	2.  read_docx: spaces
	3.  read_rtf: no spaces
	4.  Not requested by you: copying from the Word document, then pasting into “vim”: no spaces

The Word document was created by hand but #1, #3, and #4 confirm that it contains no spaces.  The offending entity here is textreadr:read_dicx

That addresses how the spaces arose.  But, my question was not about that — rather I was looking for a general fix when that situation arises.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
www.PLessThan.com <http://www.plessthan.com/>

> On Jul 28, 2020, at 8:07 PM, Richard O'Keefe <raoknz using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The spaces may not have been VISIBLE in the Word document,
> but that does not mean that there wasn't anything THERE.
>
> - What happens if you open the document in Word and
>   save it as plain text?
> - What happens if you open the document in Word and
>   save it as RTF, then read that using read_rtf?
> - If you do that, what does the RTF look like?
> - Was the Word document typed by hand, or did was it
>   the result of some other process?
>
> The thing is, "our troubles come not as single spies,
> but as whole battalions", so I'm wondering what _else_
> is going wrong in the conversion process.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]