[R] Accessing the C++ source associated with the rgl function shade3d

Thu Jul 30 00:34:46 CEST 2020

To begin with, don't assume it is in C++... R supports multiple compiled languages, and rgl appears to have both C++ and C in it.

I googled "r rgl github" and found an online copy of the src (source) files right away. The official way is to find the CRAN package page and download the tar.gz file and extract the files. Either way, you get the whole package source code this way.

I am afraid I don't have time to dig into the source to identify which file you need. Keeping in mind that the rgl package is an interface to lower level code, beware that you may need to leave the R code to find what you are looking for... in which case you would be dealing with a different code base and community of coders.