[R] How to convert European short dates to ISO format?

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Thu Jun 11 15:32:20 CEST 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> I would add to this that in an important data set I was working with, most
> of the dates were dd/mm/yy but some of them were mm/dd/yy and that led to
> the realisation that I couldn't *tell* for about 40% of the dates which
> they were. If they were all one or the other, no worries, but when you
> have people from mixed backgrounds writing in mixed formats, you have a
> problem.

Richard,

Ouch! While I've not had data sets with this problem I've had many that were
extracted from spreadsheets that had a mix of date formats mm/dd/yyyy,
mm-dd-yyyy, and other strange strings. That's why I encourage my clients to
use a database rather than spreadsheets for their environmental data.

Regards,

Rich