[R] Rstudio does not run on ubuntu 20

Mon Jun 15 15:26:08 CEST 2020

    > Hello,
    > all of a sudden rstudio stopped working on ubuntu 20.04. I
    > re-installed from `rstudio-1.3.959-amd64.deb` but it does not launch
    > even if there is an icon. On terminal I got:
    > ```
    > $ rstudio
    > rstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot
    > $ sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0 libssl-dev
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    > is only available from another source

    > E: Package 'libssl1.0.0' has no installation candidate

    > ```
    > On internet, it is said that this library was discontinued
    > (https://askubuntu.com/questions/897444/libssl-so-1-0-0-is-missing)
    > R is up and running instead:
    > ```
    > $ R
    > R version 4.0.1 (2020-06-06) -- "See Things Now"
    > Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
    > Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

    > ```
    > How can I launch studio then?

you don't.  Use R ! ..

Well, I'm mostly joking.  Personally, I do use Rstudio very
rarely (but R daily, 85% of my work time), but then I'm a
co-author of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) and have been an
emacs lover since ~1988 ..

It's good, Luigi, we (all R-help readers) now know about the problem.
But this mailing list is about R (and the R project). Rstudio is
a company and a product has their own support list.
Though I'm sure they will get the message from here or otherwise
anyway.

Do keep using Linux, it's well worth the occasional small
pain.  It allows you to smell the true original fresh air if you
want instead of having to breathe continuously being wrapped
inside  sugar candy.
At home and at work, I have no computer but those running Linux
(even though I'm occasionally glad to have access to a Windows
 terminal server at work, not the least to test R and packages,
 almost always using ESS also there)!

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Martin <Maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch>   http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler
Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich     HG G 16       Rämistrasse 101