[R] Load svg, eps or png into graphics device?

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Mon Jun 22 09:04:55 CEST 2020

> On 21 Jun 2020, at 22:42, Paul Murrell <paul using stat.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Do you mean you want to reduce *system requirements* ?

system requirements and package dependencies. Yes.

>  I'm not sure you have many options.

That was my impression as well, and that is why I asked here - possibly somebody has any smart idea.

>  Looking at the plantuml output format options, there is ...
>
> png via 'png', which requires libpng

Yup.

> svg via 'grImport2', which requires 'rsvg', which requires librsvg2

Tried it, but did not work as well as

> eps via 'grImport', which requires ghostscript

Which I am using for the vector graph.

> ... and a number of other formats that cannot be read directly into R AFAIK.
>
> The only option that does not require dependencies looks like the "txt" format, which you could read in with readLines(), but I'm not sure you want an ASCII art version :)

Actually, it could actually be an option if none of the above is installed. Kind of cascading, depending if installed: eps - sag - png - ASCII art.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Paul
>
> On 20/06/20 2:56 am, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have a package, which plots from the plantuml syntax (https://plantuml.com) graphs via a knitr engine, into a file, or into a graphics device (https://github.com/rkrug/plantuml).
>> I am using at the moment grImport for the eps import, but would like to cut down on dependencies.
>> Is there a way of bringing graphics files (png, sag, eps, …) into a graphics device in R?
>> Thanks,
>> Rainer
>> --
>> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>> Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066
>> Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
>> University of Zürich
>> Office Y34-J-74
>> Winterthurerstrasse 190
>> 8075 Zürich
>> Switzerland
>> Office:	+41 (0)44 635 47 64
>> Cell:       	+41 (0)78 630 66 57
>> email:      Rainer.Krug using uzh.ch
>> 		Rainer using krugs.de
>> Skype:     RMkrug
>> PGP: 0x0F52F982
>
> --
> Dr Paul Murrell
> Department of Statistics
> The University of Auckland
> Private Bag 92019
> Auckland
> New Zealand
> 64 9 3737599 x85392
> paul using stat.auckland.ac.nz
> http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/

Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066

Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zürich
Office Y34-J-74
Winterthurerstrasse 190
8075 Zürich