[R] Relatively Simple Maximization Using Optim Doesnt Optimize

Thu Mar 12 15:03:43 CET 2020

The help file points out that CG is "fragile" ... and I would expect that failing to define a gradient function will exacerbate that.

I think you should use a different algorithm or specify a gradient function. You might also consider working with the more recent optimr package contributed by Dr Nash, author of the original optim function in R.