[R] Get Data Table from iml FeatureEffect Object

Tue Mar 17 23:13:22 CET 2020

OP may find the help page [1] informative as to which fields are which. I have never used the imp package. Note that the DESCRIPTION file indicates that this package uses the R6 object system rather than the more typical S3 or S4.

[1] https://rdrr.io/cran/iml/man/FeatureEffect.html

On March 17, 2020 12:26:33 PM PDT, Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com> wrote:
>that is, read ?str carefully.
>
>data structures are fundamental to any programming language, so if you
>really aren't getting it, that's a signal that you need to spend some
>time
>with R tutorials. The R language Definition manual is a more
>comprehensive
>but of course more difficult resource to learn about such matters. I
>find
>it readable, however. Others may not.
>
>Bert Gunter
>
>"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>and
>sticking things into it."
>-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )
>

>On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> ?str
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming
>along and
>> sticking things into it."
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:19 PM Sparks, John <jspark4 using uic.edu>
>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi R-Helpers,
>>>
>>> I have recently started working with the iml package (Interpretable
>>> Machine Learning)  and its associated material, which I generally
>find very
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>> I want to recover some values out of the FeatureEffect Object
>created by
>>> this library, but the form of the object is completely foreign to
>me.
>>>
>>> As a reproducible example:
>>>

>>> set.seed(42)​
>>> library("iml")​
>>> library("randomForest")​
>>> data("Boston", package  = "MASS")​
>>> rf = randomForest(medv ~ ., data = Boston, ntree = 50)​
>>> predictor = Predictor$new(rf, data = X, y = Boston$medv)​
>>> imp = FeatureImp$new(predictor, loss = "mae")​
>>> eff = FeatureEffect$new(predictor, feature = "rm") ​
>>> eff
>>>

>>> Interpretation method:  FeatureEffect
>>> features: rm[numerical]
>>> grid size: 20
>>>
>>> Analysed predictor:
>>> Prediction task: unknown
>>>

>>> Analysed data:
>>> Sampling from data.frame with 506 rows and 13 columns.
>>>
>>> Head of results:
>>>        .ale .type    rm
>>> 1 -2.150574   ale 3.561
>>> 2 -2.610528   ale 5.304