[R] Rtools virus

Fri May 8 18:08:09 CEST 2020

On Fri, 08 May 2020 07:58:34 -0700
Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

>no one here can follow up on your report because you did not say
>precisely which website you downloaded it from

To be fair, the SHA-256 sum in the VirusTotal report matches the one of
rtools40-x86_64.exe:

wget -qO- \
 https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/rtools40-x86_64.exe | \
 sha256sum -
# 5c10d60e73dd0186e8f886ef0b9388bb7dbdfdc17366c14c16183edb08fdb58a  -

But I do agree that this is most likely a false positive: the AV engine
that detected it seems to be one of the less widely used and the virus
description [*] is as generic as it gets (if one is to believe Google
Translate).

--
Best regards,
Ivan