[R] Sometimes commands do not terminate after upgrading to R 4.0 and Ubuntu 20.04

Adrien FABRE |e@gr@|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun May 10 02:13:34 CEST 2020

I have upgraded R (from 3.6 to 4.0) and RStudio (from 1.1 to 1.2.5) a few
days ago, and Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04 yesterday.

Since then, R sometimes never terminates when executing certain commands:
ivreg (from package AER), summary (of a logit regression) and logitmfx
(from package mfx). Sometimes these commands run fine, but most of the time
I have to kill the process because R won't terminate the execution, even
when pressing the red Stop button in RStudio.

When I tried example('AER'), it worked fine. Then I re-installed the
package AER. It threw 10 warnings of type In readLines(file, skipNul =
TRUE) :  cannot open compressed file
'/usr/lib/R/site-library/[package]/DESCRIPTION', probable reason 'No such
file or directory' where [package] is abind, colorspace, dichromat... (but
not AER).

Since then example('AER') throws a warning: no help found for ‘AER’.

I've removed and reinstalled R 4.0: it didn't help. Besides, the apt purge
r-base* r-recommended r-cran-* threw a warning: dpkg: warning: while
removing r-base-core, directory '/usr/lib/R/site-library' not empty so not
removed. Also, there was a bunch of Package [package] is not installed, so
not removed, including for [package] equal to r-cran-abind and the other
listed above (this purge also returned a bunch of Note, selecting [package]
for glob 'r-cran-*').

I have the same bug when using R from the terminal. For the record, I was
probably working on RStudio during the upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04. Also, I
can't recall if this issue started after I upgraded R and RStudio (which
would be my best guess) or after I upgraded Ubuntu (a day or two later).

I hope someone can help.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]