[R] the volcano orientation

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 11 03:56:49 CEST 2020

Hey, I know that volcano!  It's walking distance from the Intermediate
school I attended.
To you it's a plot; to me it's a place.
So I offer you four scenarios.

1. You think of it as a place you know and have been.
    In that case the "right" orientation is the one that best matches
what you are used to seeing.
    For me, that would put the peak on the right of the plot.

2. You think of it as a patch in a map.
    In that case the "right:" orientation is the one that matches the map.
    That would put the peak at the bottom of the plot.

3. You think of it as a product of geological processes, and are
perhaps interested in
    whether there is any connection between the orientation of the
volcano and the
    direction the Auckland hot-spot (currently at White Island) was moving.
    In that case you'd choose south-west -> north-east as the primary axis.
    (I think.  Not really sure.)

4. You think of it as a picture, an illustration in a textbook.  It
might need to be cropped
    vertically so you can fit another illustration on the same page.
For that and
    perceptual reasons you want the major linear axis of the image to
be  horizontal.
    In that case, what we have now is a perfectly reasonable choice.

"Quality is fitness for use."