[R] solve() function freezes CLI in GNU R 3.6.3

Rasmus Liland jr@| @end|ng |rom po@teo@no
Wed May 13 20:57:09 CEST 2020

On 2020-05-13 11:44 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Depending on reproducibility in the least
> significant bits of floating point
> calculations is a bad practice. Just
> because you decide based on this one
> example that one implementation of BLAS is
> better than another does not mean that will
> be true for all specific examples. IMO you
> are drawing conclusions on data that is
> effectively random and should change your
> definition of "sufficient to the task".

Dear Jeff,

Right, so I really would have wanted OpenBLAS
to be as reproducible as regular BLAS in this
one random example, but my hands remains tied
on this since I do not know anything about
BLAS ...

More interestingly, could you dream up any
idea as to what might cause this difference?

Best,
Rasmus