[R] Automating package updates after major version change

Sarah Goslee @@r@h@go@|ee @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 14 20:15:06 CEST 2020

Hi Rich,

Note that install.packages requires "character vector of the names of
packages whose current versions should be downloaded from the
repositories" as stated in the help file.

If you aren't going to do it the way I did, then you need to read your
text file into R and create that character vector there.

Sarah

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard using appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2020, Sarah Goslee wrote:
>
> > Not so coincidentally, I just worked thru this for myself.
> > http://numberwright.com/2020/04/clean-and-new/
>
> Sarah,
>
> This isn't working for me on Slackware-14.2/x86_64. My R library is in
> /usr/lib64/R/library/ and I copied the contents to a text file, one package
> per line.
>
> Using the filename, packagelist, as an argument to install.packages() fails:
> > install.packages(packagelist)
> Error in install.packages(packagelist) : object 'packagelist' not found
>
> Adding quotes didn't help.
>
> Creating a script, newversionupdate.R, containing the line,
> install.packages(packagelist)
>
> and sourcing it also failed.
>
> What might I be doing incorrectly?
>
> Regards,