[R] segfault from systemfonts::system_fonts

Dennis Fisher ||@her @end|ng |rom p|e@@th@n@com
Tue Nov 3 21:43:52 CET 2020

R 4.0.3
OS X 10.15.7

Colleagues

When I run flextable, it generates a segfault.  I traced the problem to systemfonts::system_fonts()

> > require("systemfonts")
> >  system_fonts()
>
>  *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x0, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Traceback:
>  1: system_fonts_c()
>  2: system_fonts()
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace

I updated my OS and R, deleted and reinstalled the systemfonts package -- problem persists.

I also opened Apple's font application and "validated" all font files (I have never installed any special fonts nor is there anything non-standard (e.g., Homebrew) on my system.

Of note, I can run other functions in systemfonts without problems -- only system_fonts triggers the segfault.

Another similar setup on OS X does not trigger the same problem, so the problem is more likely something in my system rather than a problem in R.

Does anyone have any ideas on how one might address this?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
www.PLessThan.com