[R] Inappropriate color name

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Mon Nov 16 19:52:40 CET 2020

Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_red_(color) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_red_(color)> for where the name comes from. To cite:

"The name Indian red derives from the red laterite <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterite> soil found in India <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India>, which is composed of naturally occurring iron oxides <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_oxide>.[citation needed <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>] The first recorded use of Indian red as a color term in English <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language> was in 1672.[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_red_(color)#cite_note-3>”

So I do not see any offence in the name.

Cheers,

Rainer

> On 16 Nov 2020, at 03:35, Lainey Gallenberg <laineygallenberg using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone on here knows the appropriate place/contact for me to
> lodge a complaint about a color name in the "colors" function. I was
> shocked to see there are four named color options that include the term
> "indianred." Surely these colors can be changed to something less
> offensive- my suggestion is "blush." How can I find out who to contact
> about making this happen?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Elaine Gallenberg
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066

Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zürich
Office Y34-J-74
Winterthurerstrasse 190
8075 Zürich