[R] [EXT] Re: Inappropriate color name

David Wright mrd@v|dwr|ght1980 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 20 02:06:37 CET 2020

Is it really the proposal that the word 'Indian' should not be allowed
when referring to someone or something from India?  Context is
important.  Innumerable words can offend if used with that intent, but
we don't banish them because they have common standard meaning.  Words
which serve only as reminders of historical or present wrongs are
rightly abandoned.

As this started with colours: should the word 'coloured' be banned?
It is rightly deeply offensive to use this in referring to a person
and such usage should be unequivocally admonished.  If I ask on this
forum for advice on better ways in which my data plots could be
coloured for clarity I think that's ok.

Lastly, in the example I fail to see how the name R-assist is
offensive.  It's no doubt a faux pas and I would change the package
name since it conveys the wrong indication of its purpose.  But the
word 'racist' in itself is not offensive.  The act of being racist is
offensive and wrong.  Purging the word 'racist' won't help rid the
world of racism.