[R] Inappropriate color name

John jwd @end|ng |rom @urewe@t@net
Fri Nov 20 11:25:31 CET 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 23:27:29 +0100
Heinz Tuechler <tuechler using gmx.at> wrote:

> One may remember that people who might feel offended by "Indian Red"
> (Native Americans) make up less than 0.5 percent of all "Indians".
> It is hardly the fault of the people of India that Native Americans
> were called Indians by an Italian navigator who thought he had landed
> in India.

I have worked with and know or knew probably somewhere near 100
American Indians.  None of them were "offended" by "Indian," most
referred to themselves as "Indian," particularly when few outsiders
could even pronounce their tribal names.  Several of them referred me to
the works and words of Russel Means, Ogalala Lakota, an actor and
activist, who mocked the use of phrases such as "Native American" as
silly, and easily as offensive and racist in its failure to distinguish
among tribal peoples as any such sweeping label could be.