[R] Fwd: Help using the exclude option in the neuralnet package

Frauke Günther guenther @end|ng |rom |e|bn|z-b|p@@de
Mon Oct 12 08:33:44 CEST 2020

Dear all,

the exclude and constant.weights options are used as follows:

exclude: A matrix with n rows and 3 columns will exclude n weights. The the first column refers to the layer, the second column to the input neuron and the third column to the output neuron of the weight.

constant.weights: A vector specifying the values of the weights that are excluded from the training process and treated as fix.

Please refer to the following example:

Not using exclude and constant.weights (all weights are trained):

> nn <- neuralnet(Species == "setosa" ~ Petal.Length + Petal.Width, iris, linear.output = FALSE)
>
> nn$weights
[[1]]
[[1]][[1]]
[,1]
[1,] 6.513239
[2,] -0.815920
[3,] -5.859802
[[1]][[2]]
[,1]
[1,] -4.597934
[2,] 9.179436

Using exclude (2 weights are excluded --> NA):

> nn <- neuralnet(Species == "setosa" ~ Petal.Length + Petal.Width, iris, linear.output = FALSE,
exclude = matrix(c(1,2,1, 2,2,1),byrow=T, nrow=2))
> nn$weights
[[1]]
[[1]][[1]]
[,1]
[1,] -0.2815942
[2,] NA
[3,] 0.2481212
[[1]][[2]]
[,1]
[1,] -0.6934932
[2,] NA

Using exclude and constant.weights (2 weights are excluded and treated as fix --> 100 and 1000, respectively):

> nn <- neuralnet(Species == "setosa" ~ Petal.Length + Petal.Width, iris, linear.output = FALSE,
exclude = matrix(c(1,2,1, 2,2,1),byrow=T, nrow=2),
constant.weights=c(100,1000))
> nn$weights
[[1]]
[[1]][[1]]
[,1]
[1,] 0.554119
[2,] 100.000000
[3,] 1.153611
[,1]
[1,] -0.3962524
[2,] 1000.0000000

I hope you will find this example helpful.

Sincerely,
Frauke