[R] write.csv covert Åland to <c5>land

Tue Oct 20 16:28:59 CEST 2020

You don't say, but I'd guess you're using Windows.  In your code page,
the character Å is probably not representable.  At some point in the
sequence of operations involved in printing the dataframe R puts the
string into the native encoding, and since that's impossible on your
system, it substitutes the <c5> instead.  The fact that you can
sometimes display it is because internally R uses UTF-8 as much as it
can, and it can represent the character.

One fix for this is to switch from Windows to some other OS.  The others
all have proper support for UTF-8.

You might have luck changing your Windows code page to one that includes
the Å, but then there'll be some other characters that are missed.

You should definitely investigate Eberhard's advice, and test non-base
packages like readr.  They are all written much more recently than the
base functions, and might have proper support for out-of-code-page
characters.

Duncan Murdoch