[R] fast way to find most common value across columns dataframe

Sat Oct 31 17:40:35 CET 2020

As usual, a web search ("find statistical mode in R") brought up something
that is possibly useful -- Did you try this before posting? If not, please
do so in future and let us know what your results were if you subsequently
post here.

Here's what SO suggested:

Mode <- function(x) {
   ux <- unique(x)
   ux[which.max(tabulate(match(x, ux)))]
}

# ergo:
apply(as.matrix(df),1,Mode)

Note that all the functionality in Mode is via .Internal functions.  So you
can determine whether this is faster than Jim's code for your use case, but
I'm pretty sure it will be faster than yours. However, note that this gives
only the value of the *first* mode if there is more than one, while Jim's
code alerts you to multiple modes.

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."