[R] Assigning cores

Thu Sep 3 20:58:33 CEST 2020

Do you have 20 actual cores or 10 cores/20 threads? detectCores() doesn't usually know the difference but the CPU may be too busy accessing memory to let that last thread get any useful work done. I often find that allocating real cores is more practical than thinking in terms of thread so try allocating 9 workers and watch your cpu usage.

Experiment with your settings... the right balance may be dependent on your other activities as well as your hardware, since your analysis may not be completely memory access limited and threads might make (some) sense for you.