[R] Mapping 2D to 3D

Sat Sep 19 06:42:46 CEST 2020

When dealing with a 2-d density plot, the z variable is a predefined function of your x and y data, it is not something you can specify. If you want to specify z, then you need to use geom_contour. You appear to need to study the theory of kernel density estimates, which is off topic here. (Technically contributed packages like ggplot2 are off topic here also, though sometimes people will answer questions about them anyway.)

On September 18, 2020 6:34:43 PM PDT, H <agents using meddatainc.com> wrote:
>On 09/18/2020 02:26 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> No, but fortunately you are off in the weeds. Density has an
>internally-computed "z" coordinate... you should be looking at
>?geom_contour.
>>
>> On September 17, 2020 7:17:33 PM PDT, H <agents using meddatainc.com>
>wrote:
>>> I am trying to understand how to map 2D to 3D using ggplot() and
>>> eventually plot_gg(). I am, however, stuck on understanding how to
>>> express the third variable to be mapped. This example:
>>>
>>> ggdiamonds = ggplot(diamonds, aes(x, depth)) +
>>> stat_density_2d(aes(fill = stat(nlevel)),
>>> geom = "polygon", n = 100, bins = 10,contour = TRUE) +
>>> facet_wrap(clarity~.) +