[R] CRAN R For Windows 3.6.3

Sat Sep 19 19:44:10 CEST 2020

On 18/09/2020 1:39 p.m., Shapira, Leeor via R-help wrote:
> Can you please let me know the End of Life and End of Vendor Support dates for CRAN R for Windows 3.6.3? Thank you.

R doesn't have either of those.  There is no vendor support ever.  It is
free software; it is up to its users to support it.  On the other hand,
it is free software, so you can use it forever.

In practice, there is de facto support from its authors in that they are
very responsive to bug reports.  That ends with the next release, so
3.6.3 support ended in April, 2020 when R 4.0.0 was released.

Another way to think of support and end of life equivalents is to ask
how long CRAN will provide the source code to packages for it.  There
are no time limits on that, though it can be some work to find a set and
tools to build them if you are using older releases.

And finally, you might want to know how long CRAN will keep updating
binary packages for R 3.6.3.  I think that should continue until the
release of R 4.1.0, sometime around April 2021.

Duncan Murdoch