[R] open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Gonçalo Ferraz g|err@z29 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 21 20:24:16 CEST 2020

Hello,

I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something directly on the R-GUI.

But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes. I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.

I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.

I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2 GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)

Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the latest attempt to start from scratch.

Is this problem familiar to anyone?

Thanks for any help,

Gonçalo