[R] open file on R GUI results in spinning wheel and frozen R - Mac OS

Berend Hasselman bhh @end|ng |rom x@4@||@n|
Mon Sep 21 21:43:02 CEST 2020

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 20:24, Gonçalo Ferraz <gferraz29 using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’ve been using R-studio for a while and today I needed to try something directly on the R-GUI.
>
> But when I try to open any *.R file I get a spinning wheel and R freezes. I can only shut it down with ‘force quit’.
>
> I have deleted and re-installed R three times, each time trying to run a more thorough uninstall, but the problem persists.
>
> I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and the latest version of R ->  R 4.0.2 GUI 1.72 Catalina build (7847)
>
> Strangely, as this problem was happening on the R GUI, I was still able to open R scripts on RStudio. But now I uninstalled RStudio as well, in the latest attempt to start from scratch.
>
> Is this problem familiar to anyone?

See this thread on the R-SIG-Mac list: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-June/013575.html
and her for a solution (sequel of above): https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-July/013641.html

Go to https://mac.r-project.org/ and get the latest revision of the R GUI which is noe https://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/R-GUI-7884-4.0-high-sierra-Release.dmg

I have revision 7849; if the above does not work I can mail you the dmg of revision 7849.

Berend