[R] Help with the Error Message in R "Error in 1:nchid : result would be too long a vector"

Rahul Chakraborty ch@kr@r@hu| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 22 07:20:46 CEST 2020

Hello David and everyone,

I am really sorry for not abiding by the specific guidelines in my
prior communications. I tried to convert the present email in plain
text format (at least it is showing me so in my gmail client). I have
also converted the xlsx file into a csv format with .txt extension.

So, my problem is I need to run panel mixed logit regression for a
choice model. There are 3 alternatives, 9 questions for each
individual and 516 individuals in data. I have created a csv file in
long format from the survey questionnaire. Apart from the alternative
specific variables I have many individual specific variables and most
of these are dummies (dummy coded). I will use subsets of these in my
alternative model specifications. So, in my data I have 100 columns
with 13932 rows (3*9*516). After reading the csv file and creating a
dataframe 'mydata' I used the following command for mlogit.

mldata1<- mlogit.data(mydata, shape = "long", alt.var = "Alt_name",
choice = "Choice_binary", id.var = "IND")

It gives me the same error message- Error in 1:nchid : result would be
too long a vector.

The attached file (csv file with .txt extension) is an example of 2
individuals each with 3 questions. I have also reduced the number of
columns to 57. Now, there are 18 rows. But still if I use the same
command on my new data I get the same error message. Can anyone please
help me out with this? Because of this error I am stuck at the
dataframe level.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rahul Chakraborty