[R] jitter-bug? problematic behaviour of the jitter function

Martin Keller-Ressel m@rt|n@ke||er-re@@e| @end|ng |rom tu-dre@den@de
Thu Sep 24 09:08:24 CEST 2020

Dear Duncan, Dear Rui,

thanks for the responses and for pointing out that it is the ‚fuzz‘ part that is causing the problem. I agree that this is not a bug, but could be undesirable/surprising behaviour, since it causes a large ‚discontinuity‘ in the jitter functions output depending on the input data.

I was (ab?)using the jitter function to break ties, where the desired behaviour would be to add noise just small enough to make all values unique. (Such a function can easily be hand coded of course.)

best regards,
Martin