[R] Unable to extract gene list from chromosome

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Fri Apr 9 01:28:14 CEST 2021

On 4/8/21 3:42 PM, pooja sinha wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Sorry I forgot to attach the file. Now it's attached.

Now when I go back and check the values of the setup variables after
seeing an error on the last call,

Error in .processResults(postRes, mart = mart, sep = sep, fullXmlQuery =
fullXmlQuery,  :
   Query ERROR: caught BioMart::Exception::Database: Error during query
execution: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'AND (main.seq_region_end_1020 >= '15108600' OR
main.seq_region_end_1020 >= '9115' at line 1

I now notice:

AT_AC_Gene$chr

#NULL

Changing that to AT_AC_Gene$Chromosome_number gets at least a startup
message from the server:

Batch submitting query
[==>-------------------------------------------------------------------]
5% eta:  1m

Error in .processResults(postRes, mart = mart, sep = sep, fullXmlQuery =
fullXmlQuery,  :
   Query ERROR: caught BioMart::Exception::Database: Error during query
execution: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'AND (main.seq_region_end_1020 >= '15108600' OR
main.seq_region_end_1020 >= '9115' at line 1

But then I get the same error before about SQL syntax error.

Then I ran it with only complete cases and now get no error but again
see no hits:

str(final_1)
'data.frame':    0 obs. of  6 variables:
  $ external_gene_name: logi
  $ ensembl_gene_id   : logi
  $ start_position    : logi
  $ end_position      : logi
  $ rgd_symbol        : logi
  $ chromosome_name   : logi

I also see a lot of NA's in that dataset and when I just send the first
10 rows of the request, I get no error (but also no matches.)

So you clearly are not giving us all the data or all the code, but I'm
finally wondering if you just don't have an data that matches teh
external datasets in your chosen "biomart". Can you offer a smaller
dataset that you know with certainty should produce a match?

Alternatively, you might want to post this instead at the BioConductor
mailing list. They are the people who have a better chance of spotting
obvious errors. I've found two likely code-related errors but I'm not a
computational biostatistician.

David